After reading back over my previous post, I thought I'd go back to my Goodreads page to see exactly what I've read this year. I love the reading challenge they do, and this year I set myself a goal of 100 books... Ambitious, I know!
I was hoping doing this would push me to get through a good chunk of books I want to read (and the rather full shelf beside my bed). Instead, in the interest of pushing the numbers up, I seem to have read a few more of the 'junk food' books than I intended, and less of the better-for-me and more substantial 'meat & 3 veg' type. Ahem. I must work on that.
What have I read this year? I am actually 34 down! Which puts me in the position of being - according to the Goodreads counter, I'm 6 books behind. Aaargh.
So here's the (chronological, not alphabetical) list so far. Along with - and including - the *cough* four *cough* that I have reviewed:
- The Household Guide to Dying by Debra Adelaide
- Personally, I Blame my Fairy Godmother by Claudia Carroll
- Night World III by L.J. Smith
- I Heart Paris by Lindsey Kelk
- I Heart Vegas by Lindsey Kelk
- I Heart Hollywood by Lindsey Kelk
(Yeah I had a bit of a 'power through 'em' moment there)
- Letter From Chicago by Cathy Kelly
- The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
- Her Last Letter by Nancy C. Johnson
- A Girl Like You by Gemma Burgess
- A Song in the Daylight by Paullina Simons (see review)
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt (see review)
- Dreaming of Mr. Darcy by Victoria Connelly (see review)
- Lola's Secret by Monica McInerney
- The Dating Detox by Gemma Burgess
- Words That Matter by Oprah's Magazine Editors
- Daughters of Fortune by Tara Hyland
- Making it Big by Lyndsay Russell (see review)
- Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia
- Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
- Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson
- A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
- The Perfect Holiday by Cathy Kelly
- The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells
- Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
- Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs
- The Passage by Justin Cronin
- Incendiary by Chris Cleave
- Nobody's Girl by Sarra Manning
- Mr. Darcy Forever by Victoria Connelly
- Guitar Girl by Sarra Manning
- The Understudy by David Nicholls
- The Memory Tree by Tess Evans
- Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood
Phew! I've actually read more than I thought I had.
Some I liked - The Secret History, A Song in the Daylight, A Visit from the Goon Squad, Before I Go To Sleep, The Passage, Incendiary, The Memory Tree
Some light hearted fun / romance / quick reads - the 'I Heart's', Lola's Secret, Garden Spells, the Mr. Darcy's, the Phryne Fishers (more to come)
And some I didn't like so much. At times I don't like the fact that I can't just put a book down, I keep thinking "I must keep going, I must give it a(nother) chance, It might get better!" Fairy Godmother, I'm looking at you. And they usually don't. These ones also include Night World, Making it Big
I should have some more reviews and some other fun stuff coming your way soon!
What have you read this year? Do you get the chance to read as much as you'd like?